Applications for September 2020 will NOT be received by our Schools but will be received and administered by the Local Authority. Due to the current circumstances a new on-line application process has been developed for 2020. It is anticipated that the on-line application will be available for families to access from Monday 27th July 2020. Support will also be provided by the Local Authority where families do not have on-line access to apply. Details and updates will be available on the Caerphilly website. To reassure families applications and payments will be on-going through the summer holiday period, into September and onwards.
The Purpose of the Scheme is to provide grant assistance to families on low income. It is aimed at supporting pupils who are eligible for free school meals because of the benefits or support payments their parents / guardians currently receive [Note – pupils in receipt of FSM’s through transitional protection linked to the roll out of Universal Credit are not eligible to access the PDG Access Grant in 2020/21].
The PDG Access grant provides assistance for the purchase of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts, guides, cadets, martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance;
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationery;
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of hours trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs.
This Funding is available to pupils who are eligible for free school meals (as detailed above) entering:
- Reception class of maintained primary schools in September 2020;
- Year 3 class of maintained primary schools in September 2020;
- Year 7 of maintained secondary schools in September 2020;
- Year 10 of maintained secondary schools in September 2020;
- Pupils in special schools, special needs resource bases; pupil referral units and alternative provision (arranged by the Local Authority) who are entering Reception, Year 3, Year 7 and Year 10 in September 2020.
The Funding is available to ALL looked after children of compulsory school age, irrespective of FSM entitlement. Applications for LAC pupils will need to be made to the Local Authority in which the pupil attends school.
Families with pupils under a Special Guardianship Order would only be eligible to claim if the guardians / carers meet the eligibility criteria (relevant year group / in receipt of FSM’s due to benefit or support payments received).
Pupils with no recourse to public funds entering reception; Year 3; Year 7; and Year 10 in the 2020-21 school year are entitled to assistance under this Funding.
Funding of up to £125 is available for each learner with the exception of those in Year 7. Eligible learners in Year 7 will be entitled to a maximum of £200. This recognises the additional costs associated with starting Secondary School.
To reassure families, the guidance is quite clear that if a uniform has already been purchased for a learner and they meet the criteria, a retrospective claim can be made.